New Year’s Eve Celebrations in Detroit
For the last four millennia, people and civilizations around the world have been celebrating the start of a fresh, new year. In fact, the earliest recorded festivities for welcoming in a new year date all the way back 4,000 years to ancient Babylon. As civilizations developed more sophisticated calendars, the new year was usually linked to an agricultural or astronomical event. It was Roman emperor, Julius Caesar who instituted January 1st at the first day of the year as part of his reform and to honor the month’s namesake, Janus, the Roman God of beginnings.
Today, celebrating on New Year’s Eve generally consists of parties with friends or family, a fun night out on the town, or even taking in a fireworks display. Whether you enjoy spending New Year’s Eve out on the dance floor, or at a quiet, intimate dinner for two, or even just spending time with your little ones, Detroit has no shortage of fun ways to ring in the New Year!
Where to Spend New Year’s Eve in Detroit 2015
Here are just a few ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Detroit:
- The Resolution Ball at the Fillmore Theatre. Located at the Historic Fillmore Theatre in downtown Detroit, The Resolution Ball is Detroit’s largest and most exclusive New Year’s Eve Party in the area. The party features cirque-style entertainment and circus performers, dancers and DJs, as well as a midnight buffet and a live countdown of the ball drop from Times Square on 6 huge screens.
- Noon Year’s Eve at the Detroit Historical Museum. Kids can’t stay awake until midnight, but still want to celebrate? Head to the Detroit Historical Museum for the third annual Noon Year’s Eve party. The whole family will enjoy winter crafts, hot cocoa and cookies, and a countdown for New Year’s at noon.
- The Drop at Campus Martius Park. Located in the heart of downtown Detroit and Cadillac Square, this free event is also fun for the entire family! The Drop Motor City NYE features live entertainment, ice skating, horse drawn carriage rides, and at midnight you’ll witness a “visual spectacle” as the big D is lowered during the countdown to 2016!
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra: New Year’s Eve. If it’s an evening of culture and classical music you’re looking for, why not ring in the new year with the DSO? Purchasing a ticket for their New Year’s Eve show also helps support the orchestra and ensures they can continue to inspire families, individuals and the community throughout the year.
- Motor City Gala at the Altheneum Hotel in Greektown. The Motor City Gala is held in the Grand Ballroom in the Altheneum Suite Hotel & International Banquet Center, just a short skywalk to the Greektown Casino. The event features Detroit’s hottest DJs for a night of dancing, plus a champagne toast, party favors, midnight snack buffet stations, and much more!
From all of us here at Self Storage Specialists, we wish you a happy, safe and organized New Year!