Happy 4th of July from Self Storage Specialists!
Whether you choose to enjoy the 4th of July holiday relaxing at a barbecue with friends and family or taking in a fireworks display, Independence Day marks the official start of the summer season.
Independence Day is considered one of our most important national holidays and a symbol of patriotism. The tradition of celebrating the 4th of July dates all the way back to the 18th century and the American Revolution. However, Independence Day didn’t actually become a federal holiday until 1941. Read on for some interesting information about the 4th of July!
Fun Facts and History of 4th of July
- In July 1776, there was an estimated 2.5 million people living in our newly independent country. By 2013, that number had grown to 316.2 million people. (www.census.gov)
- The Declaration of Independence was adopted by Congress on July 2, 1776. We celebrate on July 4th because it was the actual date shown on the final version of the Declaration of Independence.
- It’s estimated that consumers will spend over $600 million dollars on fireworks for the 4th of July, with two-thirds of that going to backyard barbecues.
- The Declaration of Independence was signed by 56 men who represented the 13 colonies, marking the beginning of an all-out war against Britain. John Hancock was the first signer.
- Two presidents died within hours of each other on July 4, 1826- John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, both signers of the Declaration of Independence. Five years later, another president, James Monroe, died on July 4th, too- the third president in a row to die on Independence Day.
- There are six main varieties of aerial fireworks- the “peony” type being the most common.
- The patriotic song “Yankee Doodle” was originally sung prior to the American Revolution by British military officers as a mockery to the unorganized, buckskin-wearing “Yankees” they fought during the French and Indian War.
- Our national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner”, was written by poet Francis Scott Key after the war of 1812. It wasn’t put to music and declared our national anthem until 1931.
- The biggest fireworks display takes place in New York City at the Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular Event. Around 2 million people will show up for the 26 minute show.
From all of us here at Self Storage Specialists, we wish you a safe and happy 4th of July!
P.S. Voting ends on July 7th!
Just a reminder that Pogoda Companies, the management company for all of the Self Storage Specialists locations, is up for three awards this year in the ISS Best of Business Reader Choice Awards! Last year, we won the Best Customer Service award and we are up for that award again this year, along with Best Real Estate Brokerage and Best Third-Party Management. These awards mean a lot to us, as our mission statement is based on providing our customers and potential customers with the best self storage rental experience possible. We employ only the best highly-trained professionals throughout our Michigan and Ohio locations, and our knowledgeable staff is always ready and willing to meet your self storage needs.
Please click on the “vote here” button below to vote for Pogoda Companies! To vote, you’ll be prompted to simply enter your email address, and then search for our categories. Or, you can type “Pogoda Cos” into the search bar to cast your votes. Once again, the categories we are up for include:
Best Customer Service
Best Real Estate Brokerage
Best Third-Party Management