When Do I Need a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
When choosing to rent a storage unit, many people struggle with the decision of whether they should get a climate controlled unit. In many cases, climate controlled storage units can be extremely beneficial, but they are not always necessary. In this blog, we explore when a climate controlled storage unit is necessary, and when it is not.
What is Climate Controlled Storage?
A climate controlled storage unit maintains a range of temperature and humidity perfect for the storage of more sensitive items. Unlike a regular storage unit that may encounter various rises and dips in either temperature or moisture, storing sensitive items in a climate controlled unit will help protect them over time.
What Items Require a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
Here are a few of the items recommended to store in a climate controlled storage unit:
- Pictures and Paintings: It is important to store pictures and paintings in a climate controlled storage unit. Fluctuations in temperature and humidity can cause the paint and ink on a picture or painting to run, ruining the image.
- Electronics: It is extremely important to store your electronics in a climate controlled storage unit. Just like you wouldn’t store your electronics around a source of water, you shouldn’t store them in an area prone to moisture. If moisture gets inside of your electronics, it can cause them to short circuit when powered back on.
- Wine and Whiskey: Fluctuations in temperature and humidity can age wine prematurely. If wine and whiskey are stored in a location that is too humid, the cork may dry out, which will allow air into the bottle. Any wine or whiskey enthusiast knows that air is your worst enemy, as it can cause the wine and spirits to oxidize prematurely.
- Wooden or Leather Items: Fluctuations in temperature and humidity can damage wooden or leather items beyond repair. Over time, wooden furniture or other items that are exposed to too much moisture will crack, rot, or become warped. If a leather piece is exposed to too much moisture or fluctuations in temperature, the leather can become discolored.
- Musical Instruments: Musical instruments are commonly made of wood or metal. A musical instrument that isn’t stored in a climate controlled storage unit will be more susceptible to rotting, rusting, or cracking.
- Documents: If you have important paper documents for business or household needs, it is important to store them in a climate controlled storage unit. Over time, documents and paperwork that aren’t stored in a climate controlled storage unit can fade or discolor. As you can imagine, documents that are unreadable can result in many issues later on.
Climate Controlled Storage is a Good Option for Sensitive Items
Are you looking for a climate controlled storage unit for the storage of more sensitive items? Self Storage Specialists have a variety of sizes of climate controlled storage units available throughout our self storage locations in both Michigan and Ohio. Either contact us or stop by and talk to our professional staff about any of your household storage needs.