The Best Tips for Moving Kitchen Appliances
When you’re planning a move, making sure you’re taking the correct steps to move those expensive items, like your appliances, is very important. After all, you don’t want them to get damaged during the move so you can get them easily set up and ready to use in your new home.
The first step to take is to look up the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the specific moving and storage of each appliance. Following general preparation tips for some of the appliances is sufficient, but others may have more specific moving instructions.
However, for any appliance, the most important step to take is to make sure they are each thoroughly cleaned out before moving day. This means removing all the food inside and wiping the appliance down, inside and out.
If you won’t be moving kitchen appliances directly into your new home, self storage is a great solution for the short or long term. By properly preparing your appliance for moving or storage, you’ll be able to keep them in good working order for when you’re ready to use them. Self Storage Specialists have a variety of storage unit sizes to fit any household storage need!
Refrigerator Moving and Storage Tips
Your fridge is probably the largest items that you’ll need to move and possibly store. Prepare your refrigerator for moving by doing the following preparations:
- Defrost it at least 3 days prior to your move.
- Drain the water supply and the ice makers to ensure they are dry.
- Clean the drawers and trays in the refrigerator by removing them and wiping them down with a mild detergent.
- Wipe down the outside with the same mild detergent.
- Dust or vacuum the coils.
- Plan to utilize a dolly and transport the refrigerator upright to avoid damaging the coils.
- Tape the doors shut during transit, but untape them and leave them open slightly to prevent moisture from building up in storage.
Stove Moving and Storage Tips
Some tips for proper moving and storing of your dishwasher include:
- Clean the stove inside and out- remove any pans (like the broiler pan) from the inside as well as the grates on the top.
- Have a professional turn off the gas and disengage the piping. The pipes can be stored inside the oven during the move to keep them safe.
- Tape the oven door and the knobs of the stove to prevent them from becoming loose or breaking off during the move.
Dishwasher Moving and Storage Tips
Make sure your dishwasher is ready for moving and storage by taking the following steps:
- Thoroughly clean the dishwasher and let it dry for at least 24 hours before moving day. Leave the door slightly open to ensure it’s completely dry inside. This includes
- Disconnect and clean the hoses.
- Wrap the hoses in towels or bubble wrap to keep them undamaged- they can be stored inside the dishwasher during the move.
- Tape the door shut during transit, and cover it with a blanket or tarp to help avoid dings and scratches.
If you have any questions about storage with Self Storage Specialists, feel free to drop by any of our locations today!