Self Storage Specialists
The Largest Michigan Self Storage Company
Michigan Owned and Operated for 30 Years

Self Storage Specialists Blog

Why Should College Students Use Self Storage?

summer storage for college studentsWith final exams looming and the school year coming to a close, you’ve got a lot on your hands. Studying and research papers take up a lot of your free time, and don’t forget, you’ll also have to start packing up your dorm room or apartment, too. Throughout the school year, you usually accumulate all sorts of belongings, like textbooks and supplies, clothing, electronics, and maybe even furniture that all needs to get packed up and moved home for the summer.

However, instead of hauling all your belongings back home to your parents’ house, you should consider renting a self storage unit. Self storage is a perfect options for college students and recent graduates to keep your belongings safe and secure, and closer to the campus throughout the summer. This way, you won’t have to haul all your items any great distance during these transitional phases of the year.

Summer Storage for College Students

Alleviate your stress levels at the end of the school year by choosing to rent a self storage unit before you leave campus for the summer. Self storage offers college students a variety of benefits, including:

• Flexibility in rental terms. Most self storage facilities offer month-to-month leases, so you can rent your unit for just the right amount of time you need. Some even have special offers for college students, like your first month’s rent half off or even free! Always ask about available deals when you rent your unit.
  • The perfect size unit for your budget. Self storage facilities have a wide variety of storage unit sizes available, and most students find that a 5 x 5 unit, which holds about as much as a walk-in closet, is just the size they need for storing clothes, electronics and books.  If you have furniture and mattresses to store along with smaller items, a 5 x 10 unit should suffice.
  • Peace of mind your belongings are safe. Many self storage facilities have security features like gated entry, door alarms and security cameras to ensure your belongings will be kept safe while they’re in storage. Plus, you can also consider renting a climate controlled self storage unit if you’re storing delicate items or electronics to ensure they stay protected throughout the hot summer.
  • Keeping your parents’ home organized. If you’ve got a bunch of large furniture and boxes to move home, you should consider where you’ll store it at your parents’ house. Perhaps they’ve turned your bedroom into an office or guest room, or don’t have the storage space available for many of your larger items.
  • Ease in finding new housing. For college students who have graduated and are starting the next chapter in their lives, renting a self storage unit is also a great idea. Perhaps you’re moving into a smaller apartment or living with friends until you find your own place. Keeping your belongings safe and in one centralized place will allow you to easily find new housing without worrying about where your things can be kept in the meantime.

Choosing College Student Storage

Before moving home for the summer, make some smart decisions about what you can place in self storage until the fall. Furniture, mattresses, kitchen items, bedding and linens, textbooks and supplies, and seasonal clothing can easily go in a self storage until the next school year begins. Find a facility that is close to campus to make transporting your belongings easy when you come back to school in the fall.

Self Storage Specialists offers self storage for college students near many college campuses throughout Michigan and Ohio.  We have have convenient locations near University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Notre Dame, Wright State University and University of Dayton.  Stop by today to find the best storage solution for your personal belongings during the summer months.

This entry was posted in Storage, Moving & Organization Tips for College Students and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

10 Comments

1. Judy Wilson Posted April 27, 2016 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

I liked that you said that there are storage unit facilities that offer special rates for college students. That would be great for my oldest son. He wants to live on campus, but his dorm doesn’t have enough space to fit all of his things. Getting a good deal on a storage unit would allow him to have enough room to have access to the things that he needs that he can’t fit into his dorm room. Thanks for posting this!

2. Rockford Johnson Posted May 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Great post! Thank you for helping me understand why college students should use self-storage. I really like how you said that “Most self storage facilities offer month-to-month leases, so you can rent your unit for just the right amount of time you need.” I have never rented a self storage unit before but it is good to know that I can let it go once I do not need it anymore.

3. Kendall Ryder Posted June 28, 2016 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

College students are constantly moving in and out of new apartments each year. It is hard stay in one unit for too long because a better or more conveniently located one is available. It is a good idea to rent out a storage unit. This allows you to store all of your valuables in there while making the moving transition, or just keep certain things in there that can’t fit in your apartment!

4. Lillian Schaeffer Posted June 30, 2016 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

This is some great information, and I appreciate your point that you can choose a storage unit that fits your budget. I’m going to be starting college this fall, and I’ll be moving out there in a couple of months. I want to move back home during the next summer, but I don’t want to have to keep hauling my stuff back and forth. I’ll definitely look into renting a storage unit that fits my price range while I’m staying home for the summer so I don’t have to worry about it. Thanks for the great post!

5. Kendall Ryder Posted July 8, 2016 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I have so much stuff that was given to me when I moved out, including a lot of furniture. I want to keep it all because they will be perfect when I get an actual stationary place to live. Right now, as a college student, I am moving at least once a year, sometimes twice. Although keeping a storage unit costs you every month, it is definitely worth it!

6. Rockford Johnson Posted August 10, 2016 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

I never would have guessed that using self-storage units could be so beneficial for a college student. I really like how you explained that ” Furniture, mattresses, kitchen items, bedding and linens, textbooks and supplies, and seasonal clothing can easily go in a self-storage until the next school year begins.” I have never used self-storage services but I can imagine how helpful one can be when it comes storing things that are not being used during that semester.

7. Jessie Harrison Posted August 12, 2016 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

We just found out just how much stuff my daughter owns. What we need to do is start storing some of her belongings away. Her apartment isn’t going to fit it all and this will give her some reassurance that her stuff is safe. I like what you said, it will definitely help with finding new housing.

8. Kody Loveless Posted August 22, 2016 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tips. I have been stuck living with friends for a couple of weeks while before my new apartment is available. It always happens in college towns. You move out a week before they will let you move into a new place. I think a storage unit is a perfect thing to have for that reason. It is nice to have a place to keep all of your things.

9. Kate Hansen Posted September 14, 2016 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

It is really busy being a full time college student and the thought of moving after each semester makes me cringe. I like the idea of not hauling all my belongings across state lines and back home, so it seems like self storage is a really good solution to that. It would be good to find a storage unit that is small since I don’t have as much stuff compared to someone with a house.

10. Caden Dahl Posted March 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I like how you mentioned that most self storage facilities offer flexible leases. I’m at college right now, but I want to move home just for the summer. I’d rather not move all of my stuff back home with me, so maybe I could just rent a self storage unit short-term while I’m gone so my stuff is still here when I get back.